In addition to his writing, Mark Winne maintains an active speaking schedule that includes keynote speeches for annual meetings and conferences, talks and trainings for smaller gatherings, and lectures for colleges and universities. Topics include domestic hunger and food insecurity, public health, sustainable agriculture, social and food justice, food democracy and food sovereignty, the role of public policy in promoting social change, and empowering individuals and communities to take charge of their own destinies. Drawing on his 40 years of community food system experience, Winne mixes inspirational messages with themes of active citizen engagement, challenging the status quo – especially the industrial food system – and what we must do, both individually and collectively, to regain control of our food, bodies, and communities.
The section About Mark Winne provides information on his background and experience. The video and audio clips at the bottom of this page provide a glimpse of his style and ideas.
The following list is a sample of the organizations and conferences where Winne has spoken since 2009:
- Alaska Department of Health Food Policy Council training seminar
- Bates College
- Capital Area Food Bank (Washington, DC)
- Carolina Stewardship Alliance annual conference
- Chungnam Province (South Korea) Regional Food Conference
- Colorado Dietetics Association annual conference
- Colorado Health Foundation
- Duke University
- Eastern Mennonite University
- Farm-to-Cafeteria National Conference
- Food Security Partners of Middle Tennessee
- Gettysburg College
- Harvard Law School
- Maine Nutrition Council annual conference
- Massachusetts Public Health Association annual conference
- Minnesota Blue Cross/Blue Shield Foundation
- National Rural Mental Health Association annual conference
- New York Natural and Organic Farming Association annual conference
- Northwest Harvest Food Bank (Washington State)
- Province of Ontario (Canada) Food Summit
- Rutgers University
- Society of Nutrition Education
- South Florida Food Summit
- Southwest Marketing Network annual conference
- The State of Victoria (Australia) Health Department
- University of Cardiff (United Kingdom)
- University of Montana
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Virginia
Speaking Fees and Expenses
Mark Winne uses a flexible fee schedule to make it possible for a variety of organizations to use his services. Speaker fees can also be adjusted if the contracting organization agrees to purchase Winne’s books for resale or other forms of distribution in association with the speaking events. Generally, expenses include reimbursement for economy airfare from Albuquerque, New Mexico to the designated location, ground transportation, and lodging and meals in accordance with the required time at the location.
Food System and Food Policy Council Training
Mark Winne provides a variety of training and technical assistance services to organizations, governments, and communities interested in developing just, sustainable, and economically robust local, regional, and state/provincial food systems. These services include phone and email consultations; on-site trainings, workshops, seminars, and an array of printed and on-line resources. He also specializes in assisting groups that are developing and/or operating local, regional, tribal, and state/provincial food policy councils and networks.
For more information, use the contact page to send an inquiry or call (505) 983-3047.
Video and Audio
Click here to listen to a radio interview featuring Mark Winne: Living On Earth presents: “Food Deserts: A Mirage or Reality?”